Zuppa toscana is a broad based term literally meaning “soup in the style of Tuscany”. Classic zuppa toscana normally is a soup made from kale, zucchini, cannellini beans, potatoes, celery, carrots, … Wikipedia
So this one does really follow the Wikipedia definition, But We do think you will like it.
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and choped
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 table spoons of already minced Garlic
- 1 (32 oz) container chicken stock (4 cups) – I like it a little thinner I used 5 1/4 cups
- 3 cups russet potatoes, cubed ( some people like thick slices as well)
- 1 tsp. salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cups kale, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
Garnish: Parmesan cheese, grated, to taste
Make the magic
I like to put things all together at once so I like to prepare my ingredients beforehand.
- So cook that bacon, and crumble it. (Save some bacon grease).
- Chop up your kale, and pull out as much stem as possible, you want mostly leaves. then rinse.
- Wash and cube your potatoes ( I prefer to leave the skin on).
- Chop up your onion
- In a large pot, cook and crumble sausage along with onions.
- just before is completed ad in the garlic and cook for a few more minutes
- When Don Darin excess grease and put back in pot.
- Add the chicken stock
- Add potatoes and allow mixture to simmer for 20 min
- When potatoes are soft, add the whipping cream and salt an paper to taste
- Add kale, and chopped bacon stiring and mixing the soup thoroughly
- Bring back to simmer and allow kale to cook and wilt ( I kind like my kale a little crunchier so i don cook it that long before eating)
Server and Enjoy! Also add a little grated Parmesan cheese for a garnish!